Saturday, July 18, 2009

Well done Bulls

I have to tip my hat to the Blue Bulls side yesterday - they played with serious "gees" to get them through a tough home game against Western Province.

As an out and out Province supporter, I thought the result was encouraging. I think some players let us down and I Duvenhage made a bad mistake not taking the 3 points on offer when we had that penalty in front of the posts but all in all an encouraging performance.

For me the biggest disappointment on the day was AGAIN Sireli Naqelevuki - I think he either has to shape up or ship out - his novelty factor has worn off for me. He had one bull run down the touchline where he flattened somebody but that was about it.

For the rest of the time, he was dropping passes, dawdling around and missing tackles / opportunities to work.

In comparison the Bulls had a 20 year old in his first year of big-league rugby (Gerhard Vd. Heever) and a scrumhalf who was playing as a makeshift wing..... How many balls did these guys drop? How many times did they secure ball from the up and unders? How many tries did they score? How often were these two involved in defensive tackling?

Go back and look at that game? Go and see Van den Heever tackle the prop with Mangweni to disallow the try. Go and see why Van den Heever is there scoring the tries. Go and see how Hougaard patrolled the sidelines and got stuck in.

It is all good and well having a big winger who is supposedly a try scoring machine but on the strength of yesterdays performance I would be disappointed if he kept his place in the Province starting line-up. There must be hungry young wings in the Cape that we could be looking to include?!

C'mon Rassie....

No comments: